Considering the importance of biodiversity, it is essential to preserve the biodiversity of each geographical region. The methods of conservation of each region will be different. Various methods can be practised.
The following methods can be adopted for the purpose of conserving biodiversity.
- Knowledge of biodiversity: People should have the knowledge on the biodiversity of each on geographical region. The place, habitat and status of the creatures should be found out in order to plan the conservation programmes.
- Information on biodiversity: Local people of each region should be given information on biodiversity. After understanding the importance of biodiversity, their role in the conservation programme will be clear.
- Public participation: Local organization, village development committee, municipality, community, civic society etc. should be encouraged to participate in the conservation work jointly. They should prepare plans and implement them. Local people should be encouraged to participate in this work. The rules and programme which they make are obeyed well.
- Religious value: Various kinds of trees such peepal, banyan (bar), basil (tulasi), bel, lotus (kamal), rudraksha are considered very important in our religion and tradition. Animals like lion, elephant, tiger, peacock, monkey, tortoise, rat etc are religiously important. So, religious and cultural traditions should be utilized for the protection of biodiversity.
- Rules and Regulations: Conservation laws are very important for the conservation of biodiversity. So, dissemination of conservation laws among the people is necessary. People should be acquainted with such laws. The laws should encourage local agencies to conduct conservation programmes.
- Income generation: We have to make local people knowledgeable through effective means on importance and methods of utilization. The raw materials of biodiversity can be used for income generating activities without degrading them. Therefore, they should not be utilized at random. The people should be trained properly to use them. The income, thus obtained, can be used to raise the living standard to use the community people. Some percentage of income should be spent on biodiversity conservation.
- Change in consumption pattern: While using natural resources such as plants, animals and metals, they should use them properly. For this, change of consumption pattern is necessary. We have to use them economically. We have reduce their use as far as applicable. If possible, we have to emphasize on re-use and recycle. We are selfish. Conversational use of biodiversity can certain the conservation of biodiversity.
- Develop positive attitude: It is essential for the people to keep beneficial view to the biodiversity. They should be friendly to the biodiversity and not exploit it for their personal gain in the present. They must keep in mind that there are many generations to come and use it for the fulfillment of their need. It will help conservation of the biodiversity.